Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Natalia's Polish-English, an update

We already knew that Natalia knows both Polish and English words but up until the other day, she used one word -- could be Polish, could be English -- for each object/person/animal.

Milk is not milk, it is mleko, for example. (Or Go-gecko to imitate Natalia's current pronunciation!)

But the other day she demonstrated her beginnings of possible bilingualism (or even multilingualism).

As has been previously mentioned, one of Natalia's current favourite books is Eric Carle's Have you seen my cat? This particular day I read her the book in question. Everytime I read the repetitious line, "Have you seen my cat?", Natalia would point to the cat and say, "cat". She's been doing this for a little while so I thought nothing of it.

I had been unaware that Ksenia reads her this book as well . But Ksenia translates it into Polish.

When Natalia and I finished the book, she promptly took it over to Ksenia to read. Ksenia read it to Natalia in Polish. So instead of "Have you seen my cat?", it was "Widziales mojego kota?" And, whenever Natalia heard that, she would point to the kotek (cat) and say, "kotek". (Which sounds more like Go-tec when she says it.)

Kotek is a small cat or a kitten; kotka is an adult female cat; kot is an adult male cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment